Subject: [Thuban-list] Roadmap for Thuban development

From: Jan-Oliver Wagner <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 15:31:47 +0200

Hi,

you will find attached the roadmap for Thuban as it is
planned by the current development team.

It is our aim to get Thuban out of the door with 1.0
quickly since we think it is already a very helpful tool.

Any comments welcome.

I will also incorporate the page
	http://thuban.intevation.org/roadmap.html
into the Thuban site.

Note for translators: there is a 2-weeks timeslot for the translations.
Hope you feel comfortable with it. However, it is no problem
to start a couple of weeks earlier - the changes should be
not too extensive from that time on.

Best

	Jan
-- 
Jan-Oliver Wagner               http://intevation.de/~jan/

Intevation GmbH	              	     http://intevation.de/
FreeGIS	                               http://freegis.org/

---

From: Frank Warmerdam <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 10:40:43 -0400

Jan-Oliver Wagner wrote:
> 0.9: "SFSQL-Release"
> 	Release Date: 20-July-2003
> 	- remove bugs set to > 50
> 	- Where to store private projection file on Windows?
> 	- shapelib 1.2.10 + discard SWIG
> 	- integrate OGC SFSQL for PostGIS
> 	- what about SFSQL for Oracle, DB2?

Jan-Oliver,

What do you think of integrating OGR support for vector data sources
like Oracle Spatial as an option (like the gdal).  This would provide
lots of additional formats.  I would add that OGR now has reasonable
Python bindings.  OGR also has PostGIS support of course, but you may
want a more tightly integrated support for PostGIS.

Best regards,
-- 
---------------------------------------+--------------------------------------
I set the clouds in motion - turn up   | Frank Warmerdam, [email-masked]
light and sound - activate the windows | http://pobox.com/~warmerdam
and watch the world go round - Rush    | Geospatial Programmer for Rent

---

From: Jan-Oliver Wagner <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 18:32:34 +0200

> want a more tightly integrated support for PostGIS.

Its only a 2-days job at maximum to incorporate Oracle Spatial
or any other SFSQL database. Well - in case the compliance to SFSQL
is actually fully given.

For the integration of OGR we currently simply lack manpower.
Also all the new fomrats might introduce new problems ... ?

The roadmap until 1.0 more or less covers what the man power of
Intevation is able to carry out. Plus the volunatary help of the
translators of course.

Best

	Jan