Subject: [Thuban-list] projections and conversions

From: Amagine <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2006 13:58:22 -0700

Hello!

Just new to Thuban, looks promising!

I am curious about the projections data base.

What is the file format for producing these projections?

For my area I require NAD83 UTM Zone 9 (northern hemisphere) BC  
Albers Equal projection.

I am also curious about converting my database of shapefile gis maps  
into gml/xml format, is this possible in Thuban?

Thank you!

Mars Sjoden

---

From: "Jan-Oliver Wagner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2006 09:53:28 +0200

Hi,

> Just new to Thuban, looks promising!

:-)
 
> What is the file format for producing these projections?

Not exactly sure what you mean. Thuban uses Proj which in turn
contains the EPSG codes which are converted by a small script into
a XML format for use by Thuban.

> into gml/xml format, is this possible in Thuban?

If GDAL/OGR can write gml, then in principle it is possible to have
Thuban do this using the GDAL/OGR Extension. But a bit of programming would
be needed.

However, there is also the ogr2ogr command line tool coming withg GDAL/OGR.
This might probably the best option for yoir file format conversion.

Best

	Jan
-- 
Jan-Oliver Wagner: www.intevation.de/~jan  | GISpatcher: www.gispatcher.de
Kolab Konsortium : www.kolab-konsortium.de | Thuban    : thuban.intevation.org
Intevation GmbH  : www.intevation.de       | Kolab     : www.kolab.org
FreeGIS          : www.freegis.org         | GAV       : www.grass-verein.de