Subject: [Thuban-list] shapelib

From: Ingo Wichmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 17:51:24 +0100

Hi!
I've now installed thuban along with pyshapelib. In the 
Examples/simple_extensions/README it says, that i have to create a file 
~/.thuban/thubanstart.py that will be imported automaticaly. What's the 
format of this file?

Ingo Wichmann

---

From: Bernhard Herzog <[email-masked]>
Date: 10 Dec 2002 18:06:45 +0100

Ingo Wichmann <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi!
> I've now installed thuban along with pyshapelib.

Note that a separate installation of pyshapelib isn't necessary for
Thuban as it contains a copy of it and the relevant shapelib files.

> In the

It's a normal Python module, so you can put any Python code in there. In
the specific case described in that README, if you have an extension in
a file myextension.py in a directory somewhere on the Python module
search path, thubanstart.py could be as simple as 

import myextension

Thuban automatically adds ~/.thuban to the Python path, so putting your
own module into ~/.thuban should suffice for a start.

   Bernhard

-- 
Intevation GmbH                                 http://intevation.de/
Sketch                                 http://sketch.sourceforge.net/
MapIt!                                           http://www.mapit.de/

---

From: Ingo Wichmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 20:22:58 +0100

> Thuban as it contains a copy of it and the relevant shapelib files.

OK, i can open the shapefile, thanks for your help.

In the session tree i can see the data table. But it can not be 
displayed. In the dialog-box for the projection i can only choose UTM. 
 From what i understand proj4dialog.py does not allow other projetctions.

In grass my projection is
proj:    tmerc
ellps:   bessel

Is there a way to display this data anyhow? Maybe by editing the 
configuration-file of thuban directly?

Ingo Wichmann

---

From: Jan-Oliver Wagner <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 12:32:03 +0100

On Tue, Dec 10, 2002 at 08:22:58PM +0100, Ingo Wichmann wrote:
> displayed.

there is a menu item Layer->Show Table.
This should open a window with the attribute table of
the currently active Layer.
You activate the layer by clicking
on it in the Tree View (yes, this will be improved in later
versions :-).

> In the dialog-box for the projection i can only choose UTM. 

correct. It is currently only possible to project from geographic
coordinates to UTM.
It is fairly simple to add more projections since PROJ handles
a lot of them. A little bit coding is required though.

> configuration-file of thuban directly?

Actually you can display any shapefile regardless of the projection.
What will not work is the conversion to UTM since it assumes
geographic coordinates as origin.

Best

	Jan

-- 
Jan-Oliver Wagner               http://intevation.de/~jan/

Intevation GmbH	              	     http://intevation.de/
FreeGIS	                               http://freegis.org/

---

From: Ingo Wichmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 22:12:09 +0100

> on it in the Tree View (yes, this will be improved in later

That's what i did first, so we can call this behavior user friendly :-)
The Layer 'strasse' has the following attributes:
Shown
Shapes: 2928
Extent (lat-lon): (3.40163e+06,5.68677e+06,3.41252e+06,5.70506e+06)
Shapetype: Arc
Fill: None
Outline: (0.000,0.000,0.000)

The coordinates given by the statusbar go from 0,0 to 336,-65. But even 
after shifting them to around 3400000 and 5680000 i didn't find anyting.

Ingo

---

From: Jan-Oliver Wagner <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 23:35:48 +0100

> after shifting them to around 3400000 and 5680000 i didn't find anyting.

can you send me the data (or a small excerpt of it) so that
I can try to reproduce the problem over here?
It would make the diagnosis much easier.

Best

	Jan