Subject: [Thuban-list] Mac OS X version of Thuban

From: Owen Densmore <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 09:25:53 -0600

Hi!  Our group (redfish.com) does simulation and advanced  
visualization, and is starting to do quite a bit of GIS work.  So  
we're interested in the tools available for GIS.

One difficulty we face is being a cross-platform as well as open  
software group.  Looking at the Thuban information, it looks like it  
may primarily be focused on Windows.  That's fine, but I just want to  
avoid trying it on Mac OS X if that is not a design goal.

Looking at the downloads, there was a binary release for all systems  
a few years ago, but now just Windows, is that right?  .. i.e. all  
others build from source?  Is there a description on how to do such a  
source build, and how to make sure that build has the libraries it  
needs?

Thanks!  Looks like a great project.

     -- Owen

Owen Densmore   http://redfish.com

---

From: Didrik Pinte <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 18:02:39 +0200

> Thanks!  Looks like a great project.

Hi Owen

There is many way to build binaries of thuban. You can build it from
source but then it's a bit hard to have all the libraries if you want to
distribute it. That's why Thuban now use pyinstaller on Windows to have
a fully integrate executable.

Today there are binaries for some systems (w32, debian, ubuntu). But not
for MacOSX. 

I had a quick look at the things we can do on MacOSX and found py2app (
http://svn.pythonmac.org/py2app/py2app/trunk/doc/index.html ).

I have not tested it but i'm willing to do it ;-)

Didrik

---

From: Bernhard Reiter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 21:03:55 +0200

Hi Owen,

> avoid trying it on Mac OS X if that is not a design goal.

Thuban's target is to be fully cross-platform, so Mac OS 10 is
within the design goals.

The underlying www.wxwidgets.org supports MacOSX fine as well  - now.

> a few years ago, but now just Windows, is that right?  

As Didrik pointed out: No, Thuban was picked up by some distributions
so the binaries releases are with them, e.g. Debian.

The reason that we do not have a Mac OS  installer way back was that
wxwidgets' support was only beta and we did not have much user demand.
There have been Mac OS X users, check the developmen list archives.
Currently we lack a Max OS X helper to build the binaries so we can
provide them.

> .. i.e. all 

We will help you with the build on this list or thuban-devel.
The README file in SVN or the tarball release has a maintained list
of dependencies, which each have instructions.
To have a precise step-by-step document for Mac OS X would be very cool.

> Thanks!  Looks like a great project.

Thanks for considering Thuban!

Bernhard

-- 
Managing Director - Owner: www.intevation.net       (Free Software Company)
Germany Coordinator: fsfeurope.org. Coordinator: www.Kolab-Konsortium.com.
Intevation GmbH, Osnabrück, DE; Amtsgericht Osnabrück, HRB 18998
Geschäftsführer Frank Koormann, Bernhard Reiter, Dr. Jan-Oliver Wagner

---

From: Didrik Pinte <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 15:55:02 +0200

> Thanks!  Looks like a great project.

For those interested, here are the instructions to build Thuban on
MacOSX.

http://www.itae.be/gis/building-thuban-on-macosx.html

and the screenshot : http://downloads.itae.be/thuban_osx.jpg ;-)

Next step will be to provide an installer.

Didrik