Subject: [Thuban-list] setting gdal path under W2k

From: Otto Dassau <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 13:48:04 +0100

Hi, 

probably a simple question, but I have problems to get gdal support on windows 
2000. I followed your manual, but it doesnt work for me, since I didn't set 
the PATH to gdal library, because I don't know how.

The manual says:

Extent the PYTHONPATH environment variable (in your Windows Control Panel)
to make the new libraries available for Thuban.

%PYTHONPATH%;C:\Thuban\Lib\gdal;C:\Thuban\Lib\gdal\pymod

but using this command fails:
Error: "%PYTHONPATH% is spelled wrong or couldn't be found "

I guess, all I need is the correct command, but I don't know the answer for 
Windows. Maybe someone has an idea?

  Thanks a lot
   Otto

---

From: Frank Koormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 14:20:27 +0100

Hi,

> Windows. Maybe someone has an idea?

I included the %PYTHONPATH% for two reasons. First it should imply that
you have to extend your current settings and not to overwrite them.
Secondly under Win2000 or higher it might be possible (and for the PATH
definitely is the case) that the variable is already defined as a global
setting.

    PYTHONPATH=%PYTHONPATH%;C:\Thuban\Lib\gdal;C:\Thuban\Lib\gdal\pymod

takes this into account while 

    PYTHONPATH=C:\Thuban\Lib\gdal;C:\Thuban\Lib\gdal\pymod

would overwrite other settings. However, in your case the second version
should work. The PATH should definetely be set using %PATH%;C:.....

Regards,

        Frank

-- 
Frank Koormann                             <[email-masked]>
 Professional Service around Free Software       (http://intevation.net/)
 FreeGIS Project                                 (http://freegis.org/)

---

From: Pierrick Brihaye <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 14:06:56 +0100

Hi,

Otto Dassau a écrit:

Yes, I've mentionned this in 
https://intevation.de/rt/webrt?serial_num=2287&display=History

Maybe we should read :

SET PYTHONPATH=%PYTHONPATH%;C:\Thuban\Lib\gdal;C:\Thuban\Lib\gdal\pymod
or
SET PYTHONPATH=C:\Thuban\Lib\gdal;C:\Thuban\Lib\gdal\pymod

depending whether or net your PYTHONPATH has already been set ?!

However GDAL is marked as not available when I (on Win 98) open the 
"about" menu :-(

Cheers,

-- 
Pierrick Brihaye, informaticien
Service régional de l'Inventaire
DRAC Bretagne
mailto:[email-masked]

---

From: Otto Dassau <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 14:52:23 +0100

Hi,

> depending whether or net your PYTHONPATH has already been set ?!

OK, I am happy about your information, because I just found a very annoying 
solution in the web by clicking about 10 times :-(

-> "On Windows 2000, this can be set from the control panel: 
Start->Settings->Control Panel; System; Advanced; Environment Variables; User 
Variables; New...;"

now I learned, how to set and add a path to system variables the easy way and 
of course gdal support works well now. :-)

thanks a lot 
  Otto