Subject: [Thuban-list] Thuban 0.8.0 Released

From: Jonathan Coles <[email-masked]>
Date: 26 Jun 2003 10:27:39 +0200

======================================================================
 Thuban 0.8.0 Released
======================================================================

After quite a few months since 0.2.0, I'm pleased to announce that
the next release of Thuban, version 0.8.0, is finally here!

There are lots of new features to explore. Here's an overview:

- Projection Management
  The new projection dialog makes it possible to import, export,
  create and select projections which can then be applied to 
  layers and maps.

- Automatic Classification Generation
  The tedious work of adding new groups to a classification is
  greatly simplied with this new tool. Classificatons can be
  generated using uniform distributions, unique values, or 
  quantiles. The visual properties (e.g. line width, line color,
  and fill color) are also adjusted according to predefined 
  color schemes, or a custom scheme.

- Image Layers
  Images that are supported by GDAL (e.g. GeoTIFF) can
  be added to Thuban as layers. They then behave just as layers
  do and can be raised, lowered, and even projected.

- Table Joins
  Independent tables can be opened with Thuban and joined with
  other tables. The results can then be exported or treated just
  as any other table in the session.

- Table Queries
  The table view has a new query function which allows shapes to
  be selected based on certain criteria which their fields match.
  Results from a query are highlighted both in the table and in 
  the map. Queries can also be refined with other search criteria.

- Legend
  The legend provides a more user-friendly face to the session tree
  (which is still available). It displays each layer along with any
  classification. The layers can be raised, lowered, shown, or 
  hidden through the toolbar on the legend. A layer's properties
  are accessible by double-clicking a layer or selecting the 
  properties button.

- Improved Printing
  Maps are framed and printed with the legend and scalebar.

- Export under Windows
  On Windows platforms maps can be exported to Enhanced Meta-File   
  format.

Download: 
http://thuban.intevation.org/download.html

Screenshots:
http://thuban.intevation.org/screenshots.html

Please submit bug reports here:
http://thuban.intevation.org/bugtracker.html

Thanks to everyone who helped make this release possible.

Enjoy!

--jonathan

-- 
======================================================================
 Jonathan Coles                                [email-masked]
 Intevation GmbH                             http://www.intevation.de
======================================================================

---

From: Bernhard Reiter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 00:45:19 +0200

>   create and select projections which can then be applied to 

Is it possible that the tarball and the rpm is missing the
default.proj file?

For me Thuban crashes on Debian testing/unstable if
I manage to install everything and try to display something.
The only message is: Segmentation fault.
This does not happen when I try to create a new projecttion.
The default projects are not there to select.