Subject: [Thuban-list] Thuban & PostGIS

From: "nym" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 18:33:06 -0500

I intend to extend Thuban to utilize the geographical database, 
PostGIS, which relies on the PostgreSQL db. I wish to implement 
this so that I can make geospatial markers that are fixed dynamic, or 
time based (for events). Right now I have Thuban running on my 
Mac OS X laptop, and I am setting up other machines to use this 
software. If you are interested in this, as it seems, I'd like to use your 
cvs to make any modifications, otherwise I'll establish my own cvs 
server. 

Also, am I right in thinking that Thuban only supports vector based 
files? It would be nice to be able to include raster based images 
such as arial photos, but not necessary for what I wish to do.

I hope you want to collaborate on this, because I'm pretty excited 
about the implications of these features.

Sincerely,
Tom Longson (Nym)

---

From: Jan-Oliver Wagner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 09:30:58 +0200

Hi Tom,

> cvs to make any modifications, otherwise I'll establish my own cvs 

I very much apreciate your plan to add PostGIS support to Thuban
(it is also on our wishlist :-).

It really does not make sense to maintain a separate CVS as we
are continuously adding improvements and it would mean a lot work
to synchronize.

We will provide you with an cvs write access. However, this means
that we all have to coordinate changes so that there
is always a running thuban and that changes do not interfere.
This mailing list is the best place for it.

> such as arial photos, but not necessary for what I wish to do.

Supporting images is also on our roadmap :-)

> about the implications of these features.

I am happy to have additional people on board!

All the best

	Jan

-- 
Jan-Oliver Wagner               http://intevation.de/~jan/

Intevation GmbH	              	     http://intevation.de/
FreeGIS	                               http://freegis.org/