Subject: [Thuban-list] HISTORY OF THUBAN

From: "John Roberts" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2007 09:16:55 +0100

Dear All

I am writing a dissertation on spatial FOSS products. I am including Thuban.

I was wondering if anybody could provide me with some information on Thuban
history. I am particularly interested to know:

1. In what year was Thuban first released?
2. Was the Thuban first released as Linux only and if so, in what year was
the Windows version first released?
3. Any other interesting facts about its history.

I am not subscribed to the mailing list. Therefore would any respondents be
so kind as to cc in my personal e-mail address?

Many Thanks for your time.

Kind Regards

John
Manchester, UK

---

From: Bernhard Reiter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 13:01:42 +0200

Hi John,

> I am writing a dissertation on spatial FOSS products. I am including

thanks for considering Thuban!

> 1. In what year was Thuban first released?

http://thuban.intevation.org/newsarchive.html#thuban_0.1
has 2002/04/04 as newsdate, so it will be around this time,
but could have been earlier.
You might want to check the freegis.org mailinglist archive as well.

> the Windows version first released?

Thuban used wxPython and had windows as its target platform from the 
beginning. Without doing some research myself I do not know the data
when the different packages where released.

> 3. Any other interesting facts about its history.

There is lot of stuff to say, so what is your particular interest in?
Interesting about Thuban is that it was a little bit to early and to far
ahead to attract many developers at its time. A difficulty was packaging
and the idea to use the best components for the task. It would required
contributors to learn the component on the same level.
Given that Thuban has only see a bit of development in the last years
it still it very useful which shows that the main design decisions 
were right.

> so kind as to cc in my personal e-mail address?

Best,
Bernhard

-- 
Managing Director - Owner: www.intevation.net       (Free Software Company)
Germany Coordinator: fsfeurope.org. Coordinator: www.Kolab-Konsortium.com.
Intevation GmbH, Osnabrück, DE; Amtsgericht Osnabrück, HRB 18998
Geschäftsführer Frank Koormann, Bernhard Reiter, Dr. Jan-Oliver Wagner