Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: [Thuban-list] Module sqlite.py]

From: Jonathan Coles <[email-masked]>
Date: 02 May 2003 17:16:47 +0200

Dan,

You can find out which libstdc++ library wxproj will use by doing the
following from your thuban directory:

cd Lib
ldd wxproj.so

This will give a list of the libraries wxproj.so will need. If you look
through the list you should find a library that begins with libstdc++.
Is it pointing to the correct path? (probably
/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-redhat-linux/3.2.2, as you said)

--jonathan

On Fri, 2003-05-02 at 17:10, Dan Putler wrote:
> I apologize if you've already received the attached message.  Mozilla 
> crashed just after I hit the send button, so I don't know if the 
> original message made it out.
> 
> Dan
> -- 
> _________________________________________
> Dan Putler
> UBC Commerce
> Email: putler at commerce dot ubc dot ca
> Phone: 604-822-8329
> 
> ______________________________________________________________________
> 
> From: Dan Putler <[email-masked]>
> To: Jonathan Coles <[email-masked]>
> Subject: Re: [Thuban-list] Module sqlite.py
> Date: 02 May 2003 08:05:22 -0700
> 
> Hi Jonathan,
> 
> Some answers to your questions, and a question of my own.
> 
> > second, I think the undefined symbol should have been
> > __gxx_personality_v0 (with two x's).
> 
> You are correct, it is two x's.
> 
> > third, we have a redhat9 installation here with gcc 3.2.2, python 2.2.2
> > (compiled with gcc 3.2.2) and wxGTK 2.4.0.7. Everything compiles and
> > runs fine. The undefined symbol is a problem with the c++ libraries not
> > with proj4. Perhaps there is a problem with the path to the correct
> > runtime library (__gxx_personality_v0 is defined in libstdc++).
> 
> Do I reconfigure the path in setup.py, or do I alter something at a 
> system level?  A locate command on my box indicates that I have several 
> libstdc++ libraries.  My guess is that the relevant ones live in 
> /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-redhat-linux/3.2.2 since that is where 
> libstdc++.so and libstdc++.a are.
> 
> > btw, what things did you need to change in setup.py?
> 
> I needed to give the full path to wx_config.  The line I changed now reads:
> 
> wx_config_script = "/usr/lib/wxPython/bin/wx-config"
> 
> Ultimately, I want to play with classgen.py.  I've altered similar code 
> in OpenEV to include a quantile and standard deviations from the mean 
> classifiers.  I was hoping to do the same for Thuban.
> 
> Dan
-- 
Jonathan Coles
Intevation GmbH
http://www.intevation.de

---

From: Jonathan Coles <[email-masked]>
Date: 02 May 2003 18:45:01 +0200

Dan,

Having libwx_gtkd-2.4.so in /usr/lib/wxPython/lib seems unusual (I have
it directly in /usr/lib). Have you compiled wxWindows/wxPython yourself?
If so, a problem relating back to the original post is whether or not
you used the same compiler to compile wxWindows/wxPython and Thuban.
They need to be (roughly) the same. 

If you didn't compile the libraries, then you'll need to add
/usr/lib/wxPython/lib to your library path environment variable which
should be LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

Also, you really shouldn't need to edit setup.py. It is assumed that
wx-config is in your command path. You should probably add the path to
wx-config to your system path.

It does sound like we're getting closer to a solution.

btw, could you please CC: your responses to me to the thuban-list. That
way we have a history of our discussion. thanks.

--jonathan

On Fri, 2003-05-02 at 18:21, Dan Putler wrote:
> Hi Jonathan,
> 
> The plot thickens, but a solution seems near.
> 
> I've done this.  It turns out that wxproj.so doesn't want libstdc++ 
> directly.  It want libproj.so.0, libwx_gtkd-2.4.so, libc.so.6, and 
> libm.so.6.  It can find everything except libwx_gtkd-2.4.so.  On my 
> system this module lives in /usr/lib/wxPython/lib.  This seems directly 
> related to the inability of Thuban to find wx_config.  Specifically, 
> Thuban doesn't seems to be looking for wxPython in /usr/lib/wxPython, 
> which seems surprising.  Do I need to include /usr/lib/wxPython in my 
> path?  I've been through setup.py and the only places I can find a hard 
> coded path to wxPython appears to be related to code designed to 
> generate rpms (or that is my guess based on the variable names).
> 
> Dan
-- 
Jonathan Coles
Intevation GmbH
http://www.intevation.de

---

From: Dan Putler <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 May 2003 10:49:03 -0700

Hi Jonathan,

No, I used a set of rpms downloaded from the wxPython site.  There could 
well be a need to recompile wxPython on my system since the wxPython 
rpms were created on a RH7.3 system, and 7.3 came with GCC 2.96 (or 
something around that vintage).  I will look into compiling wxPython 
from sources later today, and then will try rebuilding Thuban.  I will 
let you know whether or not I'm successful.

Dan

Jonathan Coles wrote:
>>>You can find out which libstdc++ library wxproj will use by doing
> 
> the
> 
>>>This will give a list of the libraries wxproj.so will need. If you
> 
> look
> 
>>>through the list you should find a library that begins with
> 
> libstdc++.
> 
>>system this module lives in /usr/lib/wxPython/lib.  This seems
> 
> directly 
> 
>>path?  I've been through setup.py and the only places I can find a
> 
> hard 
>

---

From: Dan Putler <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 03 May 2003 01:47:33 -0700

Hi Jonathan,

It turns out that the RPMs Robin Dunn is create a private copy of wxGTK 
that lives in /usr/lib/wxPython/lib for wxPython.  His argument for 
doing this is to minimize potential conflicts with other wxWindows 
applications.  He actually provides two sets of build instructions for 
*nix systems.  The following the instructions contained in the file 
README.1st.txt creates a private copy of wxGTK (like the RPMs), and 
following the instructions contained in BUILD.unix.txt results in the 
traditional build of wxPython that you are running.  I followed the 
"new" build instructions (those in README.1st.txt).  However, once I 
followed your instructions concerning various paths (contained in the 
email below), and then rebuilt Thuban, everything was fine.

Thanks for your help.

Dan