Subject: [Thuban-list] problems loading/displaying raster images

From: "Moritz Lennert" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2003 15:58:10 +0200 (CEST)

Hello,

I'm having trouble with raster images. After removing one version of the
GDAL library (I had two installed), I got Thuban to recognize the
existance of the other on my machine, "About" now gives me: GDAL 1.1.8.0.

However, when I try to load/visualize raster data, I only get an empty
screen. I've tried with the sample Iceland data set (loading the
pre-established session named "iceland_sample_raster.thuban") and with a
landsat image in tif format (from http://glcf.umiacs.umd.edu/index.shtml),
and both result in the following error message:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/thuban/Thuban/UI/view.py", line 390, in OnPaint
    self.do_redraw()
  File "/usr/lib/thuban/Thuban/UI/view.py", line 436, in do_redraw
    selected_layer, selected_shapes)
  File "/usr/lib/thuban/Thuban/UI/renderer.py", line 340, in RenderMap
    self.render_map(map)
  File "/usr/lib/thuban/Thuban/UI/renderer.py", line 102, in render_map
    self.draw_raster_layer(layer)
  File "/usr/lib/thuban/Thuban/UI/renderer.py", line 214, in
draw_raster_layer
    "", (width, height))
SystemError: error return without exception set

In the Iceland case, when I remove the raster layer, all the vector layers
appear on the screen.

If I try to load the Iceland raster on its own, Thuban seg faults (whereas
with the landsat image on its own it gives the above error message).

Moritz

---

From: Jonathan Coles <[email-masked]>
Date: 07 Jul 2003 17:24:43 +0200

> existance of the other on my machine, "About" now gives me: GDAL 1.1.8.0.

where did you installed GDAL from?

> 
> a landsat image in tif format (from http://glcf.umiacs.umd.edu/index.shtml),

i went there earlier, but now it seems that the site has been shut down.

> SystemError: error return without exception set

right now, i'm stumped. i'm not sure why it's failing to render the
image. maybe it has something to do with where you got GDAL.

--jonathan 

-- 
======================================================================
 Jonathan Coles                                [email-masked]
 Intevation GmbH                             http://www.intevation.de
======================================================================

---

From: "Moritz Lennert" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2003 17:40:48 +0200 (CEST)

> where did you installed GDAL from?

I installed the unofficial Debian packages from
http://mentors.debian.net/debian/dists/unstable/main/binary-i386/gdal/

I can try compiling the CVS version of gdal, but I would prefer keeping my
Debian system more or less "clean" (i.e. not to many non-Debian files).

> i went there earlier, but now it seems that the site has been shut down.

So it seems, that would be a great loss !

> image. maybe it has something to do with where you got GDAL.

See above.

Moritz