Subject: [Thuban-list] Problem with recompile Thuban on Fedora Core 2

From: Marcin Zajączkowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2004 20:33:29 +0200

Hi,

After upgrade from FC1 to FC2 I had problem with run Thuban. Problem was 
resolved by upgrade wxPythonFTP to Python 2.3 support, but in a meantime 
I noticed problem with version *recompiled by me*.

[szpak@szpak szpak]$ thuban
No thubanstart module available
Segmentation fault

I tried compilation by hand from sources and from src.rpm.
I found post on the user mailing that version Python have to be the same 
with this which was used to compile it. It's true with my compilation! 
(2.3 and 2.3)
Maybe Thuban is incompatible with Python 2.3? Ability to biuld Thuban 
can be useful in the future.

I have:
wxPythonGTK-py2.3-2.4.2.4-1
wxGTK-2.4.2-4.1.fc2.fr
wxPythonGTK-devel-2.4.2.4-1
wxGTK-devel-2.4.2-4.1.fc2.fr
pysqlite-0.4.3-1.i386.rpm
sqlite-2.8.13-1.i386.rpm
proj-devel-4.4.7-1
proj-4.4.7-1
python-2.3.3-6
python-devel-2.3.3-6

Strange is fact (but I'm happy with this) that version 1.0.0 for RedHat 
7.2 works (I have Python 2.3 and RH 7.2 uses 2.2 :) ).

I add that in version 1.0.0 for *RedHat 7.2* I see (what is expected):

[szpak@szpak szpak]$ thuban
/usr/lib/thuban/Thuban/../Lib/shapelib.py:2: RuntimeWarning: Python C 
API version mismatch for module shapelibc: This Python has API version 
1012, module shapelibc has version 1011.
   import shapelibc
/usr/lib/thuban/Thuban/Model/data.py:21: RuntimeWarning: Python C API 
version mismatch for module shptree: This Python has API version 1012, 
module shptree has version 1011.
   import shptree
/usr/lib/thuban/Thuban/../Lib/dbflib.py:2: RuntimeWarning: Python C API 
version mismatch for module dbflibc: This Python has API version 1012, 
module dbflibc has version 1011.
   import dbflibc
/usr/lib/thuban/Thuban/../Lib/Projection.py:2: RuntimeWarning: Python C 
API version mismatch for module Projectionc: This Python has API version 
1012, module Projectionc has version 1011.
   import Projectionc
/usr/lib/thuban/Thuban/UI/renderer.py:25: RuntimeWarning: Python C API 
version mismatch for module wxproj: This Python has API version 1012, 
module wxproj has version 1011.
   from wxproj import draw_polygon_shape, draw_polygon_init
No thubanstart module available

but it works.

Regards
Marcin

---

From: Silke Reimer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 14:34:38 +0200

Hi  Marcin,

> I noticed problem with version *recompiled by me*.

Within the last weeks we prepared a FC2 package [1] and ran into
similar problems that you report in this email. Mostly this have
been encoding problems: default locale on FC2 seems to be an UTF8
encoding while thubans internal encoding is latin1. If you pass such
a string with special characters to wxGTK this can cause a
segmentation fault[2]. There isn't any problem as long as you don't
use any special characters.  But if you use a special encoding it is
possible that some menus have special characters and then thuban
crashes.

Some of these issues (for example the about-dialog and the default
projections) have been fixed in CVS but there is still a general
problem. It can be solved if thuban uses the user's encoding as
internal encoding (see bug 2585 [3]).

So my first question is: Which encoding do you use? And could you
perhaps change it to a latin1-encoding? 

Greetings,

	Silke

[1] ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/misc/freegis/intevation/freegis//fedora/2/RPMS/Thuban-1.0.0-1.fdr.2.i386.rpm

[2] In my opinion this is a bug in wxGTK since it shouldn't crash
but perhaps show the unknown characters as question mark.

[3] https://intevation.de/rt/webrt?serial_num=2585&display=History

-- 
Silke Reimer

Intevation GmbH                      http://intevation.de/
FreeGIS                                http://freegis.org/

---

From: Marcin Zajączkowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 23:41:19 +0200

> perhaps change it to a latin1-encoding? 

I use ISO-8859-2 encoding (LANG=pl-PL). I tried with en-US too. But I 
don't know is it the same problem. Thuban ends its work just after Map 
-> New Layer (not after start). I tried with my shapes and maps 
delivered with Thuban.
I tried FC2 RPM but I didn't have wxGTK2 and wxPython2 packages (only 
wxGtk-2.4.2 and wxPython-...), so I had to recompile it from SRPM. I 
checked current CVS too but always it exited after try to open new layer.
Can You open any layer even under not UTF-8 encoding?

Thanks for reply
Marcin

P.S. Did you use something special to compose last message? It hangs my 
Mozilla 1.7.2 :)

---

From: Silke Reimer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 12:40:38 +0200

Hi Marcin,

On Wed, Aug 25, 2004 at 11:41:19PM +0200, Marcin Zaj?czkowski wrote:
> Dnia 2004-08-24 14:34, U?ytkownik Silke Reimer napisa?:

It seems that indeed that the encoding issue is not your problem -
this has been just a guess by me since this has been the only
problem that I had when compiling thuban on FC2.

> Can You open any layer even under not UTF-8 encoding?

If wxGTK2 and wxGTK are allowed concurrently on FC2 (I am not sure
about that) you can try to install the official wxGTK2 and wxPython2
package from fedora.us [1]. If this doesn't help to get run thuban
on your system it would be very helpful if you could provide some
gdb traceback. 

Czesc (is this correct for saying Ciao in polish?)

	Silke

> P.S. Did you use something special to compose last message? It hangs my 

I did GPG-sign my email. Perhaps this has been the problem? 

[1] http://download.fedora.us/fedora/fedora/2/i386/RPMS.stable/

-- 
Silke Reimer

---

From: Marcin Zajączkowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 23:20:15 +0200

Dnia 2004-08-26 12:40, Użytkownik Silke Reimer napisał:
(...)
> on your system it would be very helpful if you could provide some

Unfortunately wxGTK from freshrpms can't live together with wxGTK2 from 
fedora.us, but after some work I installed:
wxPythonGTK2-2.4.2.4-0.fdr.3.2
wxGTK2-2.4.2-0.fdr.2.2
wxGTK-common-2.4.2-0.fdr.2.2
wxGTK-common-devel-2.4.2-0.fdr.2.2
wxGTK2-devel-2.4.2-0.fdr.2.2
wxGTK2-gl-2.4.2-0.fdr.2.2
from fedora.us. Your Thuban rpm for FC2 (and my recompilation too) 
*works* with some asserts:
[szpak@szpak us]$ thuban
No thubanstart module available

** (thuban:2773): CRITICAL **: file pango-layout.c: line 268 
(pango_layout_new): assertion `context != NULL' failed

** (thuban:2773): CRITICAL **: file pango-layout.c: line 544 
(pango_layout_set_font_description): assertion `layout != NULL' failed

** (thuban:2773): CRITICAL **: file pango-layout.c: line 787 
(pango_layout_set_text): assertion `layout != NULL' failed

** (thuban:2773): CRITICAL **: file pango-layout.c: line 2103 
(pango_layout_get_extents): assertion `layout != NULL' failed

(thuban:2773): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: file gobject.c: line 1579 
(g_object_unref): assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

Field with loaded layers is little strange, but I can add layer in it.
I don't know why it doesn't work with wxGTK packages from freshrpms.net. 
Maybe You can try to temporary install it to tests:
http://tettnang.freshrpms.net/rpm.html?id=261
and (in it's necessary wxPython from wxPython.org)
https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=10718&package_id=10559&release_id=188259

If it will work at your system maybe gdb helps to determine segmentation 
reason (in this case please tell me what gdb commands do You need - I 
haven't used gdb for years) in my case.

> Czesc (is this correct for saying Ciao in polish?)

:)
You're amazing. Where did you learn Polish?
"Czesc" is correct in Internet slang (and of course it's used there). In 
formal Polish we write "Cześć" (chars in ISO-8859-2).

Regards
Marcin

---

From: Marcin Zajączkowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 23:27:31 +0200

> I did GPG-sign my email. Perhaps this has been the problem? 

I forgot about it.
Yes it's, but I was my fault. After upgrade Mozilla to 1.7.2 I had 
installed bad enigmail version and it crashed with every GPG-signed message.

Where can I find Your GPG public key?

Regards
Marcin

---

From: Silke Reimer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 18:38:24 +0200

Hi Marcin,

On Thu, Aug 26, 2004 at 11:20:15PM +0200, Marcin Zaj?czkowski wrote:
> Dnia 2004-08-26 12:40, U?ytkownik Silke Reimer napisa?:
> (...)

I tried to build and run thuban with the packages of the the source
that you mentioned and it doesn't work on my system either. The
reason is probably that the wxPython and wxGTK packages are not
binary compatible. You could try to get wxGTK and wxPython from the
same source and get this work but perhaps you are already happy with
thuban working with wxGTK2?!

> You're amazing. Where did you learn Polish?

I have some polish friends and spent my last holidays in Poland.

> formal Polish we write "Cze??" (chars in ISO-8859-2).

OK. But I don't have such letter on my keyboard :-)

Regards,

	Silke

-- 
Silke Reimer

---

From: Silke Reimer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 18:42:22 +0200

> Where can I find Your GPG public key?

You can get it from my homepage [1] or from one of the usual
keyservers, for example subkeys.pgp.net.

[1] http://intevation.de/%7Esilke/gpg_pub_key.asc

Regards,

	Silke

-- 
Silke Reimer

---

From: Marcin Zajączkowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 2004 16:52:27 +0200

Hi,

Dnia 2004-08-30 18:38, Użytkownik Silke Reimer napisał:
(...)
> thuban working with wxGTK2?!

Unfortunately on wxGTK package from www.freshrpms.net are depended few 
applications built by freshrpms. I know that I could recompile SRPM to 
work with fedora extras, but Thuban-1.0 for RedHat 7.3 works with that 
package and I can still use it. Probably in the future I'll change wxGTK 
package.

Thanks for help
Marcin