Subject: [Thuban-list] Introduce Announcement list?

From: Jan-Oliver Wagner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 13:40:44 +0200

Hi,

some people seem to want having an eye on Thuban developments
without being subscribed to mailing lists with quite some
noise.

A solution would be a announce mailing list (thuban-announce).
What do you think?

	Jan

-- 
Jan-Oliver Wagner               http://intevation.de/~jan/

Intevation GmbH	              	     http://intevation.de/
FreeGIS	                               http://freegis.org/

---

From: "Moritz Lennert" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 13:50:04 +0200 (CEST)

> A solution would be a announce mailing list (thuban-announce).

The users list has been very quite lately, so I don't have the feeling
there is so much noise... But if there are people who just want to hear
about new releases this would be a good idea.

Moritz

---

From: Marcin Wojdyr <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 13:51:10 +0200 (CEST)

> about new releases this would be a good idea.

It is possible to use Freshmeat for it. 
At http://freshmeat.net/projects/thuban/ :
Subscribers: 21

Marcin

-- 
Marcin Wojdyr                       http://www.unipress.waw.pl/~wojdyr/

---

From: Martin Schulze <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 14:29:05 +0200

> A solution would be a announce mailing list (thuban-announce).

I believe that it's a good idea as long as the new list be a
lowest-traffic list, so the people who subscribe to that list, don't
get flooded (even in terms of thuban-list@..)

When you create such a list, please document its charter as well, so
that people know what kinds of announcements they'll have to expect.

Regards,

	Joey

-- 
It's time to close the windows.

---

From: Jan-Oliver Wagner <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 13:09:28 +0200

> A solution would be a announce mailing list (thuban-announce).

Now we have a Announcement mailing list [1].

I know that thuban-list has a moderate traffic at the moment,
but that always can change all of a sudden so it is not
good to subscribe here if you just want to know about important
news.

Yes, we have the freshmeat entry and it is always kept up to date.
But there only new releases are reported while it could be
interesting to know about a new wonderful extension, a user/developer
meeting or such things.

I've described the policy in detail [1], so people should
know whether they want to subscribe.

Thanks for the valuable hints you send me. Hope this way
I satisfy all suggestions.

Best

	Jan

[1] http://thuban.intevation.org/mailinglist.html
-- 
Jan-Oliver Wagner               http://intevation.de/~jan/

---

From: "Moritz Lennert" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 13:30:54 +0200 (CEST)

> know whether they want to subscribe.

One question, though: will the content of the announcement list also be
sent to the user list, or should one subscribe to both ?

Moritz

---

From: Jan-Oliver Wagner <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 22:27:19 +0200

> sent to the user list, or should one subscribe to both ?

good question. Should I subscribe the thuban-list to the
thuban-announce?
I think yes, unless noone objects.

	Jan

---

From: Jan-Oliver Wagner <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 20:05:50 +0200

> I think yes, unless noone objects.

I now subscribed the thuban-list to thuban-announce.

	Jan