Subject: Re: [Thuban-list] Re: translation of thuban

From: "Daniel Calvelo Aros" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 14:44:45 -0500

Bernhard Herzog writes:

> Jan-Oliver Wagner <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > thanks for your interest and help.
> > You've motivated us to add the es.po and translation functionality
immediately
> > to the CVS :-)
> 
> It wasn't quite immediately, but it's in CVS now.
> 
> There's a new subdirectory po/ to hold the translations (currently
> there's only Daniel's es.po) plus a Makefile and a README with info
> about how to manage the po files.

Ok. I will send the CVS-based version in a while, along with fr.po
through the mailing list. Are the Mexican folks interested in
contributing? If so, I'll start with French.

> The handling of the po/mo files is not very well integrated with the
> build system at the moment. You have to manually run the Makefile on
> some occasions, such as building a thuban.pot from the sources, updating
> existing .po files and building the mo files (more info in po/README).
> 
> Furthermore, the Makefile only works on Unix-like systems and it needs
> gettext 0.11. 0.10.x may work but it will at least give you lots of
> warnigns because it doesn't really understand python syntax.
> 
> Source distributions (created with setup.py sdist) will have a
> thuban.pot file and the mo-files so that building thuban from a source
> tarball doesn't require gettext, msgfmt etc. and a unix-environment.

I did some search for integration of gettext with distutils but found
nothing. Do you know if anybody is working on that (Martin von Loewis,
maybe)? It would imply including pygettext and msgfmt.py into the
standard library, I guess...

> Finally, we've not removed the "from Thuban import _" imports. We
> explicitly bind a gettext method to _ in Thuban/__init__.py and do not
> use gettext.install. The reason is that Thuban can be used as a library
> to build other applications on top of (which we do in GREAT-ER) and a
> library should not modify the __builtin__ namespace otherwise it could
> interfere with the application which could also want to call
> gettext.install.

Right. But isn't thuban.py-the-exe an application using
Thuban-the-library as its main module? Or do you mean Thuban-the-library
is Lib+Model, not UI?

I agree with using only the '_' definition as in CVS now.

BTW it seems you (well, the listmanager anyway) have not configured a
Reply-To:[email-masked]. Is CC-ing the common way of using
the list? (Just curious...)

>    Bernhard
> 
> -- 
> Intevation GmbH                                 http://intevation.de/
> Sketch                                 http://sketch.sourceforge.net/
> MapIt!                                           http://www.mapit.de/
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Thuban-list mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://intevation.de/mailman/listinfo/thuban-list
> 
> 

-- Daniel Calvelo Aros
--
-- Dirección General de Información Agraria
-- Ministerio de Agricultura
-- (51-1) 424-9001

---

From: Jan-Oliver Wagner <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 22:53:51 +0200

> the list? (Just curious...)

I don't know your MUA (NeoMail), but for many other MUAs (I am using
Mutt) there are various options to reply. List-Reply is one of them.
The idea behind is to not mangle the E-Mail Header (ie. changing the
Reply-To field) when send to the mailing list.

This is a matter discussed quite intensive.
I belong to the group who thinks that mangling of the Headers is a bad idea
and that the MUA is responsible to do it right ;-)

For the curious ones:
You may want to read
http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html
and you will find pages arguing for the opposite.

Best

	Jan
-- 
Jan-Oliver Wagner               http://intevation.de/~jan/

Intevation GmbH	              	     http://intevation.de/
FreeGIS	                               http://freegis.org/

---

From: Bernhard Herzog <[email-masked]>
Date: 16 Apr 2003 12:09:30 +0200

"Daniel Calvelo Aros" <[email-masked]> writes:

> maybe)?

No. I googled a bit to and it seems that MvL is in favor of adding
gettext to distutils but I've seen nothing to indicate that somebody is
actually working on this.

> It would imply including pygettext and msgfmt.py into the

That seems to be the best way to make sure that adding gettext support
to distutils will be easy enough. I'll post something about this to
Python's I18N-SIG mailing list. Maybe it's possible to get pygettext and
msgfmt into the standard library before Python 2.3.

> > The reason is that Thuban can be used as a library
> Thuban-the-library as its main module?

More or less.

> Or do you mean Thuban-the-library is Lib+Model, not UI?

The UI is part of the library. GREAT-ER
(http://great-er.intevation.org/) for instance uses much of the code in
UI too but among other things it replaces the menu almost completely
with its own commands and it has quite a few great-er specific dialogs
and even some special tools. Nevertheless it reuses most of the
mainwindow, the canvas and most of the Thuban dialogs for projections,
tables, etc.

   Bernhard