Subject: [Thuban-list] Problems displaying layers created by shapelib

From: Dan Putler <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2003 10:35:09 -0800

Hi,

I have been involved in a project to create a open source postal address 
geocoder.  We use the Frank Warmerdam's shapelib library for both 
reading a reference vector street map (with address ranges), and writing 
out a point map with each geocoded address.  We are currently testing 
whether what programs can actually read and display the layers we have 
created.  Thuban seems to have problems displaying these maps. 
Specifically, the layers window displays the appropriate information for 
the map.  However, the display window just freezes.  Across open source 
map viewers and simple GIS map editors we have tried, we find that we 
can display these layers in OpenEV and GIS Toolkit Editor, but not 
Thuban and DeeGree.  In addition, we have no problems with them in 
either ArcView or ArcExplorer.  My question is have others run into 
problems displaying shapefile layers created with shapelib in Thuban.

For the Thuban development team, I'd be glad to send you one of the 
layers created by our program for you to look at.

Dan

-- 
_________________________________________
Dan Putler
UBC Commerce
Email: putler at commerce dot ubc dot ca
Phone: 604-822-8329

---

From: Jan-Oliver Wagner <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2003 20:54:19 +0100

> layers created by our program for you to look at.

that would be great and help us resolve the problem.
I haven't experienced problems so far, but I haven't
tried many different shapefiles yet.

You can send me the file directly.

Best

	Jan

-- 
Jan-Oliver Wagner               http://intevation.de/~jan/

Intevation GmbH	              	     http://intevation.de/
FreeGIS	                               http://freegis.org/

---

From: Jan-Oliver Wagner <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 17:34:57 +0200

> You can send me the file directly.

just for the archive:
Dan send me the test-file and it displays without any problem for me
(using the current CVS version).

Anyone else experiencing a problem like Dan did?

	Jan