Subject: [Thuban-list] projects.h

From: "Fidel Serrano" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 17:12:14 -0400 (EDT)

i reed that projects.h most be in proj4 but i have installed proj4 and still project.h is not found, any help would be great...

______________________________________________________________
Sponsored By:

The ByRegion Network 
http://www.HealerPages.info

The Rumi Spirit Card
http://www.omplace.com/rumi

OmPlace - The Conscious Living Directory - FREE Email          
http://www.omplace.com

---

From: Frank Koormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 09:41:41 +0200

Fidel,

* Fidel Serrano <[email-masked]> [030513 23:29]:
> i reed that projects.h most be in proj4 but i have installed proj4 and
> still project.h is not found, any help would be great...

I guess you have installed the proj.4 Win32 prebuilt binaries from 
ftp://ftp.remotesensing.org/pub/proj/proj446_win32_bin.zip

These are sufficient if you want to run a prebuild version of Thuban.
If you want to build a new version of Thuban (e.g. from CVS), you need also
the header files for proj.4, which are located in the source package:
ftp://ftp.remotesensing.org/pub/proj/proj-4.4.7.zip

Regards,
    
        Frank Koormann

-- 
Frank Koormann                             <[email-masked]>
 Professional Service around Free Software       (http://intevation.net/)
 FreeGIS Project                                 (http://freegis.org/)

---

From: Frank Warmerdam <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 08:53:00 -0400

> ftp://ftp.remotesensing.org/pub/proj/proj-4.4.7.zip

Hi,

I was wondering why thuban depends on projects.h?  The current theory is that
proj_api.h is the "public" include file for PROJ.4, and projects.h should not
be required by modern PROJ.4 applications that don't reach in and use private
information from the library.

Best regards,

-- 
---------------------------------------+--------------------------------------
I set the clouds in motion - turn up   | Frank Warmerdam, [email-masked]
light and sound - activate the windows | http://pobox.com/~warmerdam
and watch the world go round - Rush    | Geospatial Programmer for Rent

---

From: Bernhard Herzog <[email-masked]>
Date: 14 May 2003 15:36:02 +0200

> information from the library.

I can't remember why, but I'd guess it's because at least some of the
documentation (PROJ.4.3.pdf) says to use projects.h.

  Bernhard

-- 
Intevation GmbH                                 http://intevation.de/
Sketch                                 http://sketch.sourceforge.net/
MapIt!                                           http://www.mapit.de/

---

From: Jan-Oliver Wagner <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 11:35:57 +0200

> documentation (PROJ.4.3.pdf) says to use projects.h.

the guess is true: See page 23 of file PROJ.4.3.ps.

The projects.h file is installed into the public include
directories. If it shouldn't be used anymore, it shouldn't be
installed also.
Thus, proj installation procedure should be adapted accordingly.
Frank W.: What do you think?

Best

	Jan

-- 
Jan-Oliver Wagner               http://intevation.de/~jan/

Intevation GmbH	              	     http://intevation.de/
FreeGIS	                               http://freegis.org/

---

From: Frank Warmerdam <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2003 08:54:39 -0400

> Frank W.: What do you think?

Jan / Bernhard,

I am not in a position to update the old PROJ documentation so I can't change
references in it.  Hopefully at some point we will have comprehensive new
documentation.  The pj_init.3 man page *has* been updated to describe the
modern approach.

In the meantime, as I mentioned, applications should just use proj_api.h
unless they need some internal information available in projects.h.  I will
continue to install projects.h by default in order to provide backwards
compatibility for applications setup to use the traditional PROJ include file.

Best regards,

---

From: Jan-Oliver Wagner <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 15:19:56 +0200

On Wed, Sep 03, 2003 at 08:54:39AM -0400, Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> The pj_init.3 man page *has* been updated to describe the
> modern approach.

You are right. I did not had a look into this man page.
Maybe it should be referenced under "SEE ALSO" on the proj manpage.