Subject: [Thuban-list] Python shapelib and OpenGl

From: Marco <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 15:41:57 +0100

This is the first email to a mailing lisy and I want to great you all.

I need to put text in OpenGl in a Python-PyGtk application.
This text must be in Autocad fonts, then, if I understood correctly, in shp
or shx format.

I found your python shape library.
My question is: it's good for my purpose?
I'm thinking to use this library and use their output for making OpenGl
lines.

Thank you very much.
I'm sorry if this mail is so specific and a lot of you aren't interesting
about it.
Good evening!

Marco Bonifazi

---

From: Bernhard Reiter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 19:26:43 +0100

Hi Marco,

On Thu, Dec 15, 2005 at 03:41:57PM +0100, Marco wrote:
>    This text must be in Autocad fonts, then, if I understood correctly,
>    in shp or shx format.

you are refering to http://ftp.intevation.de/users/bh/pyshapelib/ ...
It is a python wrapper around the shapelib C library which
can be use to read and write shapefiles.
(http://shapelib.maptools.org/)

>    I'm thinking to use this library and use their output for making
>    OpenGl lines.

If you need to read .shp and .shx files in python,
you can use the pyshapelib. 
Another possibility to do this would be the ogr part of python-gdal.

Of course you can use the read data to plot the lines
with any plotting technique you have.

Best,
	Bernhard