Subject: [Thuban-list] Export to mapserver

From: Sajith VK <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 16:48:30 +0530

Hi,
	I found "Export to mapserver" feature on
thuban todo list. But sad that it is not there
in the roadmap. It will be a nice feature, for
all who works in webmapping.

Also a facility to interactively edit the map file
is also helpful, but no suggestion how itshould be....

Thanks and regards,
-- 
"Freedom Matters"
Sajith VK

---

From: Jan-Oliver Wagner <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 19:18:39 +0100

Hi,

> all who works in webmapping.

coincidently, work on this feature will start tomorrow :-)
It is not yet clear whether the result will be an
Extension compatible with 1.0 or whether it will be part
of the 1.1 development branch.

> is also helpful, but no suggestion how itshould be....

One maintenance tool is the web-based MapLab.
I am not yet sure wether Thuban could/should also be
a maintenance tool for UMN MapServer.
For initial UMN MapServer applications it is certainly
helpful.

Best

	Jan

-- 
Jan-Oliver Wagner               http://intevation.de/~jan/

Intevation GmbH	              	     http://intevation.de/
FreeGIS	                               http://freegis.org/

---

From: Sajith VK <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 09:44:17 +0530

> of the 1.1 development branch.

Great, I offer myhelp as an early bug tester.......

> For initial UMN MapServer applications it is certainly

What about "import from Mapfile" feature?
I mean, reading  a map file, and showing the layers specified
in it? (I hope you got me..). I can save it as a .thuban file
or export it to Mapfile....
This feature enable thuban to edit existing map files too.... 
  
comments?

-- 
"Freedom Matters"
Sajith VK

---

From: Jan-Oliver Wagner <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 10:54:36 +0100

> Great, I offer myhelp as an early bug tester.......

we'll come back on this :-)

> This feature enable thuban to edit existing map files too.... 

we'll consider this for making up the concept.

Please don't expect first results within the the next weeks.
This feature is meant to be implemented seriously and not just
for experiments. That takes some time.

Best

	Jan

---

From: Jeff McKenna <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2004 11:33:09 -0500

One of MapLab's features is the ability to preview a mapserver mapfile, 
and not having to tie it into an application 
(http://www.maptools.org/maplab/index.phtml).  a nice option until this 
extension is released.

jeff

---

From: Jan-Oliver Wagner <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 18:45:01 +0100

> (http://www.maptools.org/maplab/index.phtml).  a nice option until this 

a real preview is indeed helpful. A MapServer map derived from
a Thuban map will definitely look different since the tools
have different rendering engines.

It might be in interesting option to incorporate the currently
very experimental WMS access of Thuban into the overall process
of creating a UMN MapServer application.

However, Thuban is not a replacement for MapLab since MapLab
is a web-based solution and thus offers a different approach
and different opportunities.

Best

	Jan

---

From: Bernhard Herzog <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2004 18:51:51 +0100

> have different rendering engines.

It shouldn't be hard to start a simple http server as a subprocess of
Thuban for this.  The Python library has all the necessary code which
has just to be customized a bit.

   Bernhard

-- 
Intevation GmbH                                 http://intevation.de/
Skencil                                http://sketch.sourceforge.net/
Thuban                                  http://thuban.intevation.org/

---

From: Sajith VK <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 10:26:02 +0530

Hi,
	One nice feature I found in mapserver is classification.
It will be better if the classification is also exported to
map file. 
	In thuban I can classify a layer according to an attribute
and assign color for each "class". In mapfile also I can devide
a layer into different classes and assign color for each "class".
So if the "classification" done in thuban is available in the 
exported "map" file, it will be realy helpful.
	I dont know whether it is already in consideration.....
(If I am just confusing, just tell me, I will try to explain 
it again!)

Thanks and regards,
-- 
"Freedom Matters"
Sajith VK

---

From: Jan-Oliver Wagner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 11:50:31 +0100

Hi,

> (If I am just confusing, just tell me, I will try to explain 

I think I got what you mean :-)
Classification will be considered of course.

Best

	Jan