Subject: [Thuban-list] Thuban 1.0rc1 released

From: Bernhard Herzog <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2003 12:12:26 +0100

Hi all,

I've just released the first release candidate for Thuban 1.0.
Download from the usual place: 
        http://thuban.intevation.org/download.html

The changes since Thuban 0.9 include:

 - Faster rendering

 - Extensions to import APR files, to convert GNS files to shapefiles or
   to use Thuban as a WMS client, among others. Most of these extensions
   are somewhat experimental though.

 - Thuban files written with the Windows version should be readable on
   Unix systems now in most cases

 - Support for EPSG projections

 - A command line switch to enable attribute editing. This is a bit
   dangerous so it's off by default.

What's missing for the final 1.0 release:

 - Updated translations. The strings to translate should not change
   anymore till 1.0 so now is the time to get the translations up to
   date.

 - There's a bug in the windows binary: The startup file thubanstart.py
   will not be executed. The reasons are detailed in the bug tracker
   (https://intevation.de/rt/webrt?serial_num=2241).

   I'm not sure what we can do about it until 1.0. Since the bug is more
   a Python 2.2 bug than a Thuban bug the easiest solution may be to
   build the windows binary with Python 2.3.

  Bernhard

-- 
Intevation GmbH                                 http://intevation.de/
Sketch                                 http://sketch.sourceforge.net/
Thuban                                  http://thuban.intevation.org/

---

From: "Moritz Lennert" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 14:26:23 +0100 (CET)

> I've just released the first release candidate for Thuban 1.0.

Congratulations !

>         http://thuban.intevation.org/download.html

I used alien to install it on Debian testing/unstable with python2.3.

When I open it it gives quite a lot of RuntimeWarnings about API version
mismatches:

*******************
$ thuban
/usr/lib/thuban/Thuban/../Lib/shapelib.py:2: RuntimeWarning: Python C API
version mismatch for module shapelibc: This Python has API version 1012,
module shapelibc has version 1011.
  import shapelibc
/usr/lib/thuban/Thuban/Model/data.py:21: RuntimeWarning: Python C API
version mismatch for module shptree: This Python has API version 1012,
module shptree has version 1011.
  import shptree
/usr/lib/thuban/Thuban/../Lib/dbflib.py:2: RuntimeWarning: Python C API
version mismatch for module dbflibc: This Python has API version 1012,
module dbflibc has version 1011.
  import dbflibc
/usr/lib/thuban/Thuban/../Lib/Projection.py:2: RuntimeWarning: Python C
API version mismatch for module Projectionc: This Python has API version
1012, module Projectionc has version 1011.
  import Projectionc
/usr/lib/thuban/Thuban/UI/renderer.py:25: RuntimeWarning: Python C API
version mismatch for module wxproj: This Python has API version 1012,
module wxproj has version 1011.
  from wxproj import draw_polygon_shape, draw_polygon_init
No thubanstart module available
******************

Then, when I try to open a sample session or a shapefile it segfaults
immediately.

I don't have this behaviour when I install the official thuban 0.9.0-1
Debian package.

Moritz

---

From: Bernhard Herzog <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2003 14:41:43 +0100

> When I open it it gives quite a lot of RuntimeWarnings about API version

Debian testing uses Python 2.3. The RPM was built with 2.2. hence this
version mismatch. Most of the time it's harmless in my experience,
though.

> Then, when I try to open a sample session or a shapefile it segfaults

You need to use exactly the same wxWindows and wxPython versions that
Thuban was compiled with. It's unlikely that you will get the binary RPM
to work on your debian system.

The tarball contains the debian build files so you could build your own
.deb file. I'm not sure how that's done, though :). However, Silke says
she's going to build a new thuban debian package, so there might be an
unofficial (i.e. not official from debian) package on our FTP server
later today.

  Bernhard

---

From: Jan-Oliver Wagner <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 14:42:29 +0100

>         http://thuban.intevation.org/download.html

I've updated all relevant web pages and submitted an update
to freshmeat.

So now it is upto the translators to updated the corresponding
languages as there should be no string changes anymore for the
final release 1.0.

So far we had the following translators:
French: Daniel Calvelo Aros
German : Björn Broscheit (already up-to-date)
Italian: Maurizio Napolitano
Russian: Alex Shevlakov
Spanish: Daniel Calvelo Aros

Please let us know if you don't think you can deliver an updated
translation until mid of december.
Are there any volunteers for further languages?

All the best

	Jan

-- 
Jan-Oliver Wagner               http://intevation.de/~jan/

Intevation GmbH	              	     http://intevation.de/
FreeGIS	                               http://freegis.org/

---

From: "Moritz Lennert" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 14:59:01 +0100 (CET)

> unofficial (i.e. not official from debian) package on our FTP server

Ok, I'll wait for that.

Thanks,

Moritz

---

From: Maurizio Napolitano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2003 18:19:18 +0100

> translation until mid of december.

I have time after the 19 december.
Probaly i can traslate the program before, but now i have to solve
the problem to run the last version of Thuban.

---

From: Silke Reimer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 19:56:30 +0100

Hallo,

> > unofficial (i.e. not official from debian) package on our FTP server

As promised by Bernhard earlier this day I built an debian package
of thuban. You can download it from 

	ftp://intevation.de/thuban/debian/thuban_1.0rc1-0intevation_i386.deb

It has been built on Debian-Unstable (sid). 

Please note, that this is an unofficial debian package. The official
one is in preparation though and will hopefully appear soon in the
debian archives.

Greetings,

	Silke
-- 
Silke Reimer

---

From: Jan-Oliver Wagner <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 20:28:55 +0100

> the problem to run the last version of Thuban.

please let us know about any problems with 1.0rc1.
It is the idea of a release candidate to iron out any remaining
problem.

Best

	Jan

---

From: Maurizio Napolitano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2003 09:13:36 +0100

> It is the idea of a release candidate to iron out any remaining

Yesterday, before to send my email, i write a messagge about the
problems that i have on the last Thuban version.
Probaly the anti-spam filter of the sendmail server where i work
has block the messagge (is a very bad antispam filter!!!)
I copy and paste my words here.

----
Problems with Thuban

I have tested it on two computer.
A computer is based on a RedHat 9.0 and is a Intel P4 2.4 Ghz with 1Ghz
of RAM.
I have "compiled" Thuban from the source. The program work but the
command to change the color of a shape by "class" (range or class) is
disable.
If i have load a "Thuban session" with a layer with this features, the
display is right ... but the command is always disabled.
On another computer (my laptop) with a Mandrake 9.2 (Intel P4 Mobile
2.2Ghz and 512Mb ram) if have compiled Thuban from the source (i have'nt
used the RPM for RH) and the result is a "core dump" if i try to load
some ESRI Shape file.
In this case i have the python binding for GDAL and the psycopg but the
command for the "Database connection" is broken.

Any hint?

PS: sorry for my bad english!!!
---

---

From: Bernhard Herzog <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2003 16:07:27 +0100

> command to change the color of a shape by "class" (range or class) is

Which command do you mean exactly? The "Properties..." command in the
layer menu? That one is only available when a layer is selected. Click
in a layer in the legend window to select it.

> used the RPM for RH) and the result is a "core dump" if i try to load

This kind of segfault usually comes from a binary incompatibility
between Thuban, wxWindows and wxPython. One possible cause is that the
wx-config and hence the headerfiles etc. used during Thuban compilation
is from a different wxWindows version than the one used at runtime.

> command for the "Database connection" is broken.

Does the About-box show a version for psycopg?

   Bernhard