Subject: [Thuban-list] usability wishes

From: "Moritz Lennert" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 16:30:53 +0100 (CET)

Hello,

While playing around with Daniel's patches, a few usability issues have
struck me. I list them here, but if you prefer that I file individual wish
bugs for them, please tell me:

In the "Colour" chooser window:

- it should be possible to set the rgb values by typing the numbers, not
only by using the slide

- when creating a custom color, I find it counter-intuitive that once I
have adjusted the sliders, I have to click on "Add to custom colors"
before clicking on OK: I often click directly on OK and then have to come
back to recreate the color

- custom colors should be saved from one usage to the next of the color
chooser (or at least there should be a possibility to save custom colors -
ideally with the possibility of creating files with custom colors which
could then be loaded on demand)

-it would be nice to extend the hsv patch to the chooser so that it is
possible to create custom colors according to hsv values

In the "Generate Classification" window:

- it is not resizable (I am using thuban with XFCE4 in Debian
testing/unstable) and when working on a small-screen laptop this means
that I cannot see the "Generate" and "Close" buttons when creating a
custom color ramp or when the text describing the classification is long.
I have to blindly try to reach them by tabbing. Would it be possible to
allow resizing of windows with a slider to reach the different parts ?

Enough for now. Thanks again to Daniel for his patches.

Moritz

---

From: Bernhard Herzog <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 20:40:25 +0100

> In the "Colour" chooser window:

We're using the standard wxColor dialog, so we're limited to what it has
to offer, unless we want to write our own.

> - it should be possible to set the rgb values by typing the numbers, not

That would probably require a custom dialog.

> back to recreate the color

That's probably a bug in the wxGTK color dialog.  I ran into this too
and now mostly use one of the predefined colors.  I don't have the time
at the moment to investigate this further.  There doesn't seem to be a
wx bug report about it yet.

> could then be loaded on demand)

That shouldn't be too hard to implement.  The documentation at least
suggests taht there's a way to get at the data.

> possible to create custom colors according to hsv values

That would probably require a custom dialog, too.

> testing/unstable)

It's resizable for me.  However, you can only make it larger and it
really is quite tall (on my system more than 700 pixels with the custom
range).  The dialog should be reworked a bit.  May it should be a
notebook with one tab for the classes and one for the color scheme.

   Bernhard

-- 
Intevation GmbH                                 http://intevation.de/
Skencil                                http://sketch.sourceforge.net/
Thuban                                  http://thuban.intevation.org/

---

From: Jan-Oliver Wagner <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2004 15:02:11 +0100

> to offer, unless we want to write our own.

there ist also

from wxPython.lib.colourchooser import wxPyColourChooser

which has HSV support and both RGB and HSV can be entered as numbers.

	Jan

-- 
Jan-Oliver Wagner               http://intevation.de/~jan/

Intevation GmbH	              	     http://intevation.de/
FreeGIS	                               http://freegis.org/

---

From: Jan-Oliver Wagner <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2004 15:08:38 +0100

> which has HSV support and both RGB and HSV can be entered as numbers.

I submitted a which to have it configurable which dialog to use:

https://intevation.de/rt/webrt?serial_num=2347&display=History