Subject: [Thuban-list] thuban, windows and python 2.3

From: Matt Wilkie <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2003 10:18:14 -0800

Hello,

It's good to see that a full on 1.0 release is approaching.
Congratulations to everybody for their hard work!

Can the windows binary be used with python 2.3? If not is a py2.3
win-binary forthcoming? I'd rather not have 2.2 and 2.3 concurrent if I
can avoid it (or maybe that is not even possible?)

thanks in advance,

-- 
matt wilkie
--------------------------------------------
Geographic Information,
Information Management and Technology,
Yukon Department of Environment
10 Burns Road * Whitehorse, Yukon * Y1A 4Y9
867-667-8133 Tel * 867-393-7003 Fax
--------------------------------------------

---

From: Bernhard Herzog <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 14:20:34 +0100

> Congratulations to everybody for their hard work!

Thanks.

> Can the windows binary be used with python 2.3?

No. You'd have to recompile some modules.

> If not is a py2.3 win-binary forthcoming?

Good question. Given that the startup file doesn't work on windows with
python 2.2 but will probably work with 2.3 (see
https://intevation.de/rt/webrt?serial_num=2241) I think that we should
build a Python 2.3 binary at least for the final release or the next
release candidate should there be one.

> I'd rather not have 2.2 and
> 2.3 concurrent if I can avoid it (or maybe that is not even possible?)

Having two python versions installed simultaneously should be possible.
See e.g. this posting by Tim Peters:

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/tutor/2003-August/024465.html

-- 
Intevation GmbH                                 http://intevation.de/
Sketch                                 http://sketch.sourceforge.net/
Thuban                                  http://thuban.intevation.org/