Subject: [Thuban-list] Thuban on OS X - gdal problem

From: Lorenzo Moretti <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 10:49:48 +0200

I've built Thuban cvs on OS X but I have some problems

... from Help menu
Thuban 1.1 cvs-20040716
Currently using:
	wxPython 2.4.1.2
	Python 2.3.2
	PySQLite 0.5.0
	SQLite 2.8.5
	GDAL - not available
	psycopg - not available

No GDAL support because module 'gdal' cannot be imported. Python 
exception: 'No module named gdal'

Compiled for:
	GTK 1.2.10
	proj 4.4.8

- I have GDAL installed 1.2.0 without python support and I enter the 
path in python cfg. How can I put gdal support in Thuban? In thuban 
site there are only Windows and RH version without a doc for 
installing from source;
- You see proj 4.4.8 support but when I choose a real projection for 
my layer I can not see my layer: it's missing. Without proj I see the 
map and I see the coordinate with mousem with proj the map miss ... 
Why??
- How can I enter PYTHONPATH environment for loading extensions? I 
have created pythonstart.py in home and it works with import module 
inside .thuban folder.

At the other side Thuban with shape works very well (class map with 
text string is fantastic). It's very fast..

Bye

-- 
________________________________________________________________________
||       Lorenzo Moretti        e-mail: [email-masked]     
||/|/|   ENEA prot/idr          Web: http://wwwamb.bologna.enea.it/    
||   |   via Don Fiammelli, 2   FTP: ftp://ftpamb.bologna.enea.it/ (res.)
~~~~~~   40128 BOLOGNA - ITALY  Ph: +39-0516098086  Fax: +39-0516098131
			Download GRASS for MAC OS X:    
	           http://wwwamb.bologna.enea.it/forgrass/
________________________________________________________________________

---

From: Bernhard Reiter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 15:21:21 +0200

>      exception: 'No module named gdal'

You have to install the python module "gdal" first. 
So you can test if that step it completed without running Thuban.
Simply start python and type
	import gdal
If that returns without error, you can try Thuban again.

>    site there are only Windows and RH version without a doc for

You need to build gdal with python support.
For this you probably needs the python development headers.
Check: http://www.remotesensing.org/gdal/gdal_building.html

Check the python options shown at
	./configure --help
and also watch the output of the regular ./configure closely.

Bernhard

---

From: Bernhard Reiter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 15:27:00 +0200

>    have created pythonstart.py in home and it works with import module

Usually this is done modifying the environment variables.
I do not know about Mac OS 10, but you can type
in a command line
	PYTHONPATH=something
	export PYTHONPATH

your operating system documentation should tell you where you
can set that permanently. Usually to have those lines
in ~/.bashrc or ~/.bash_profile

Another way is to use thubanstart.py and 
have something like the following in there:

import sys
sys.path.append("/usr/lib/thuban/Extensions")

---

From: Bernhard Reiter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 15:27:47 +0200

>    text string is fantastic). It's very fast..

Great!
Can you contribute a nice screenshot for Mac OS X?