Subject: [Thuban-list] Thuban 1.0.1 [[email-masked]: Experimental Mandrake 10.0 package]

From: Bernhard Reiter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 16:29:11 +0100

FYI.

Subject: Experimental Mandrake 10.0 package
From: Bernhard Reiter <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 16:25:59 +0100
List-Id: Thuban development discussion <thuban-devel.intevation.de>

http://ftp.intevation.de/users/bernhard/thuban/mandrake/
Placed some experimental Mandrake 10.0 i586 packages there.

Had no timte to download all the dependencies for gdal,
so if someone knows a good gdal package build for Mandrake,
let us all know.
	Bernhard
-- 
Geschäftsführer, Intevation GmbH                    (intevation.de)
Projekt Freie GIS Software              (freegis.org/index.de.html)
FFII e.V.				                 (ffii.org)
FSF Europa     			      (fsfeurope.org/index.de.html)

_______________________________________________
Thuban-devel mailing list
[email-masked]
https://intevation.de/mailman/listinfo/thuban-devel

---

From: Servio Tulio Pires Amarante <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 18:32:50 -0200

Are there any chance to make it working in MDK 10.1? Even with wxPython 2.4.x 
in MDK 10.1, taken from 10.0, no success here.

---

From: Bernhard Reiter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 09:46:23 +0100

> in MDK 10.1, taken from 10.0, no success here.

Try to be as specific as you can about your difficulties.
What did you do exactely?
What nature are the problem?
Warnings? Error messages?

	Bernhard

---

From: Servio Tulio Pires Amarante <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 15:57:02 -0200

Bernhard

I got this when calling Thuban:

$ thuban
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/thuban", line 20, in ?
    import Thuban.UI.main
  File "/usr/lib/thuban/Thuban/UI/main.py", line 18, in ?
    from application import ThubanApplication
  File "/usr/lib/thuban/Thuban/UI/application.py", line 33, in ?
    import view
  File "/usr/lib/thuban/Thuban/UI/view.py", line 40, in ?
    from renderer import ScreenRenderer, ExportRenderer, PrinterRenderer
  File "/usr/lib/thuban/Thuban/UI/renderer.py", line 25, in ?
    from wxproj import draw_polygon_shape, draw_polygon_init
ImportError: /usr/lib/wxPython/lib/libwx_gtk2u-2.4.so.0: undefined symbol: 
_gtk_accel_group_detach

I guess that something else is missing, but which library?

Sérvio

---

From: Bernhard Reiter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 20:20:35 +0100

> I guess that something else is missing, but which library?

Seems to be a problem within the Mandrake packages, probably some GTK package.
It could be that the requirements only specify a >= version for GTK
and that the even newer versions do not work anymore.

Did you try with the Mandrake 10.1 packages and rebuild the src.rpm?
	Bernhard

---

From: Servio Tulio Pires Amarante <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 17:02:55 -0200

> Did you try with the Mandrake 10.1 packages and rebuild the src.rpm?

Yes, I did. I can't figure out which GTK package is missing. As I have to run 
ldconfig to tell Thuban where the wxPython stuff can be found, it is possible 
that Thuban is looking for something else in a wrong place. There are other 
wx and wxPython stuff running fine here, so it is problem with Thuban needs.

Sérvio

---

From: Bernhard Reiter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 23:44:49 +0100

> I can't figure out which GTK package is missing. As I have to run 

Actually this is an issue with the loader then, the missing symbol seems to
be within the Mandrake package, though. You could run ldd on the 
/usr/lib/wxPython/lib/libwx_gtk2u-2.4.so.0

Here on Mandrake 10.0 that gives me:
ldd /usr/lib/wxPython/lib/libwx_gtk2u-2.4.so.0
        linux-gate.so.1 =>  (0xffffe000)
        libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0 (0x4056c000)
        libgdk-x11-2.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/libgdk-x11-2.0.so.0 (0x407d3000)
        libatk-1.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/libatk-1.0.so.0 (0x40844000)
        libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so.0 (0x4085f000)
        libpangoxft-1.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/libpangoxft-1.0.so.0 (0x40873000)
        libpangox-1.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/libpangox-1.0.so.0 (0x40896000)
        libpango-1.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/libpango-1.0.so.0 (0x408a3000)
        libgobject-2.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/libgobject-2.0.so.0 (0x408d8000)
        libgmodule-2.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/libgmodule-2.0.so.0 (0x4090d000)
        libdl.so.2 => /lib/libdl.so.2 (0x40911000)
        libgthread-2.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/libgthread-2.0.so.0 (0x40914000)
        libglib-2.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/libglib-2.0.so.0 (0x40919000)
        libpangoft2-1.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/libpangoft2-1.0.so.0 (0x40985000)
        libm.so.6 => /lib/tls/libm.so.6 (0x409aa000)
        libstdc++.so.5 => /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5 (0x409cd000)
        libgcc_s.so.1 => /lib/libgcc_s.so.1 (0x40a8d000)
        libpthread.so.0 => /lib/tls/libpthread.so.0 (0x40a96000)
        libc.so.6 => /lib/tls/libc.so.6 (0x40aa6000)
        libX11.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6 (0x40bee000)
        libXrandr.so.2 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libXrandr.so.2 (0x40cd1000)
        libXi.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libXi.so.6 (0x40cd5000)
        libXinerama.so.1 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libXinerama.so.1 (0x40cdd000)
        libXext.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libXext.so.6 (0x40ce0000)
        libXft.so.2 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libXft.so.2 (0x40cee000)
        libXrender.so.1 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libXrender.so.1 (0x40d00000)
        libfontconfig.so.1 => /usr/lib/libfontconfig.so.1 (0x40d09000)
        libfreetype.so.6 => /usr/lib/libfreetype.so.6 (0x40d31000)
        libz.so.1 => /lib/libz.so.1 (0x40d90000)
        /lib/ld-linux.so.2 => /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0x80000000)
        libexpat.so.0 => /usr/lib/libexpat.so.0 (0x40da1000)

I expext the issues to be at libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0
Grep shows that the symbol you are missing is in there on my system:
nm -D /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0.200.4 | grep _gtk_accel_group_detach
0003da30 T _gtk_accel_group_detach

I hope this is helpful in some way!
	Bernhard

---

From: Servio Tulio Pires Amarante <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 02:18:49 -0200

> I hope this is helpful in some way!

I see. From what I read elsewhere,  _gtk_accel_group_detach have been 
removed/replaced in GTK 2.4x, standard library in mdk 10.1. So, I think that 
only a new version of Thuban, built over wxPython 2.5x will run under 
Mandrake 10.1. The kind of changes in the system to make it run under 10.1 
may causes too much trouble.

Sérvio

---

From: Bernhard Reiter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 11:07:42 +0100

> may causes too much trouble.

It should be possible without too much problem as wxPython 2.4 shall
work without problem with GTK 2.4.x if I am not mistaken.

So you might only need to rebuild wxPythonGTK from the Mandrake src.rpm once.
Can you try this? It should be fairly easy.

---

From: Servio Tulio Pires Amarante <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 04:15:06 -0200

> Can you try this? It should be fairly easy.

I rebuilt wxPythonGTK, but it did not work. Thuban still asks for that missing 
symbol. I tried to rebuild the wxPythonGTK src rpm from the wxPython site and 
got the same error on that missing symbol, but now when rebuilding the rpm 
package...

Sérvio

---

From: Bernhard Reiter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 00:45:14 +0100

> may causes too much trouble.

Meanwhile I have looked at the GTK 2.4.x documentation and found
that symbol to be removed as documented. 
I tried to find out if there is a stable version of wx2.4 for newer GTKs
from wxwidgets.org, but had no luck so far.
It strikes me as rather odd, as those changes could not be that problematic
and wx2.4 still is the official stable version.
Maybe somebody should try to ask on their mailing lists or search
more thorougly.

On Thu, Jan 27, 2005 at 04:15:06AM -0200, Servio Tulio Pires Amarante wrote:
> I rebuilt wxPythonGTK, but it did not work. Thuban still asks for
> that missing symbol. I tried to rebuild the wxPythonGTK src rpm
> from the wxPython site and got the same error on that missing
> symbol, but now when rebuilding the rpm package...

Thanks a lot for trying!
As I wrote about, my information was that GTK would be binary
compatible in the 2.x.x series, but obviously this was wrong. :(

If you feel adventurous you could try to build gtk 2.2 or rebuild
the source RPMs of the gtk from Mandrake's 10.0 source GTK or from a tarball.
On the other hand, the patch to wx2.4 should not be difficult.

Hmmm.