Subject: spanish .po?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 08:57:36 +0100

Hello. I intend to use "statist" as a replacement to closed software we
use in our classes of statistics. I think I do need a translation to
Spanish of the interface, so

1. I have read the mailing list and it seems nobody has contributed a
"po" file to any language. Right?

2. I have never used "gettext" before. When trying to run "xgettext" on
"statist" sources, messages longer than a line (I mean, that use a
backslash to escape the carriage return) cause errors. Do not know how
to manage that.

3. As I begin my classes very soon, I have started to translate the
messages on their place in sources -> not using gettext. I hope later,
with a little Perl or a proper use of xgettext, will be easy to create
the ".po" file.

4. I am obliged to use MS-DOS or Windows (will try FreeDOS) in my
classes. I have compiled the 1.0.1 version of statist with DJGPP, and it
works fine. But, what about international encoding in DOS? Latin 1
(iso-8859-1) corresponds with cp1252, doesn't it? Any suggestions for
this job? (I have thought about using "cstocs", by Jan Kasprzak and Jan
Pazdziora, to convert the sources before compiling in DOS; sorry, I did
not say that I usually work in a Debian system).

Thanks for any advice. And for your work. "statist" is a very useful
tool in many occasions.

-- 

_______________________________________________

Carlos Enrique Carleos Artime
Departamento de Estadística
Universidad de Oviedo
Escuela de Marina Civil
33203 Spain

ccarleos @ fisher.ciencias.uniovi.es
http://carleos.etsiig.uniovi.es

Powered by Debian GNU/Linux, http://debian.org.
_______________________________________________

---

From: Bernhard Reiter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 09:34:01 +0100

Hello Carlos,

> "po" file to any language. Right?

You are right.
We did not manage to use the real gettext version yet.

> backslash to escape the carriage return) cause errors. Do not know how

I have to look into that. It might be the case that we need to
connect the lines or check if this is an error with xgettext.
However I do not know when I have time to deal with this,
so help is appreciated.

> with a little Perl or a proper use of xgettext, will be easy to create

This is fine for you purposes.
Please send me a patch against 1.0.1 so I can make it available for
other people.

> not say that I usually work in a Debian system).

It has been a long time since I've had to use DOS, so I cannot tell.
Converting the sources and compiling them should get you results
through trail and error.

> Thanks for any advice. And for your work. "statist" is a very useful

I am happy to hear that! :)
	Bernhard

-- 
Geschäftsführer, Intevation GmbH                    (intevation.de)
Projekt Freie GIS Software              (freegis.org/index.de.html)
FFII e.V.				                 (ffii.org)
FSF Europa     			      (fsfeurope.org/index.de.html)

---

From: Bernhard Reiter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 22:32:59 +0200

Hello Friends of statist,

it has been a long time in coming:
statist in CVS is prepared for gettext support.
Using the CVS you can compile with gettext support
with a fixed path to a localedir.

However I did not create the necessary infrastructures
for the message files yet, thus there is no release.
The website tells you how to check out a CVS version:
http://www.usf.uos.de/~breiter/tools/statist/index.en.html

Best,
	Bernhard