Subject: statist + XML

From: Andreas Beyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Jun 2002 13:58:06 +0200

Hi,

I am working on an XML-interface for statist.
This e-mail is only to avoid double work. I cannot present results, yet.
Thus, if you intend to do the same, contact me and we can pool our
resources.

I suggest, that XML becomes statist's native data format. I will develop
a converter that converts old statist data files into XML files. The
converter will work as a stand alone program and it can be incorporated
into statist.

The DTD will be very simple. It only has two basic elements:
'table' having the attribute 'title'
'column' having the attributes 'title' and 'type'
'type' can be either 'string' or 'numerical'

This definition is compatible to many other DTD and extendable (e.g.
another  'type' could be 'bin' or anything else).

Row lables (StatistX only):
If the first column is of type 'string' it will be interpreted as labels
of the rows.

	Andreas

--
-----------------------------------------------
	Andreas Beyer - [email-masked]
	http://www.usf.uos.de/~abeyer/
	phone: +49-541-969 2573 fax: -969 2599
-----------------------------------------------

---

From: Elmar Ludwig <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 17:19:07 +0200

> I am working on an XML-interface for statist.

Why XML?

> 'type' can be either 'string' or 'numerical'

I can't imagine how this is supposed to look like. Don't you need
an element for the cell contents?

> This definition is compatible to many other DTD and extendable
> (e.g. another  'type' could be 'bin' or anything else).

Do you have a DTD already (to look at)?

Elmar.

--
Elmar Ludwig                         [email-masked]
Dept. of Math. & Computer Science                +49 541-969-2491 (Tel)
University of Osnabrueck                         +49 541-969-2799 (Fax)
49069 Osnabrueck, Germany                  http://www.inf.uos.de/elmar/