Subject: Statist 1.4.0 - Stable version released!

From: "Jakson A. Aquino" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 13:27:54 -0200

Lightweight statist(ical) application release!
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Statist 1.4.0 is available!

  This is the new stable version

  The statist community likes your feedback. You can send your
  message to the mailing list available from the homepage or, if
  you prefer, you can write directly to Jakson Aquino, the statist
  maintainer.

WHAT IS STATIST?
===============

  Statist is a small and portable statistics program written in C.
  It is terminal-based, but can use Gnuplot for plotting purposes.
  Scripting is possible and Statist handles big datasets
  reasonably well on small machines. It is also easy to use due to
  its interactive menu, being a very handy tool also for those who
  do not use statistics every day.

  Statist is Free Software under GNU GPL v>=2.

THE DOCUMENTATION
=================

  The statist user manual is available in both English and
  Portuguese.

  The German documentation is partially outdated, but it contains
  information about the statistical functions and the way the
  program works that are not covered by the new user manual.

REQUIREMENTS
============

  Statist is very portable.  It can be compiled in practically any system
  with any C compiler. However, and the system must have libintl and
  libiconv to compile the program with support for languages other than
  English.  If gnuplot is installed, statist can create graphics.

  Some GNU core utils -- gawk and sort -- are useful additions to
  prepare databases for use with Statist.

DISTRIBUTION
============

  Statist source code is available at its homepage:
  http://wald.intevation.org/projects/statist/

BUGS FIXED IN VERSION 1.4.0
===========================

  * Fixed bug in u-test. Rows with missing values were being
    deleted. This bug was introduced in the development 
    version 1.3.0 (August 2005).

  * Fixed segmentation fault when the first column is marked 
    as a column to be ignored (prefix "$" in the column name).

  * Fixed incompatible pointer type when compiling in amd64. 

  * Sandro Tosi revised all strings from the Italian catalog,
    and translated the new ones.