Subject: utf-8 and gnuplot

From: "Jakson A. Aquino" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2006 18:10:46 -0300

Hello!

People using statist with their locale charset set to UTF-8 might have
problems with gnuplot graphics if they contain labels or titles with
accented letters. Some months ago, I added a work around to statist
plot.c: all strings were converted into a single byte charset, like
ISO-8859-1. However, since April, 2006, the cvs version of gnuplot has
an improved handling of UTF-8 strings and I think that my work around
is no longer necessary. I didn't remove the changes that I've made yet
only because it's somewhat difficult to discover the correct font
specification for gnuplot. If the user has no intention of mixing
charsets like Latin and Greek in the graphics, it's easier to set the
variable gnuplot_charset in the ~/.statistrc. I put a discussion about
this issue here:

  http://statist.wald.intevation.org/utf8.html

Best regards,

Jakson

---

From: Bernhard Reiter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2006 15:30:56 +0200

Hi Jakson,

Am Dienstag, 4. Juli 2006 23:10 schrieb Jakson A. Aquino:
> I put a discussion about

sound all like a cool improvement!

Best,
Bernhard