Subject: changes for 1.3.1

From: "Jakson A. Aquino" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 05:40:21 -0300

Hello!

Below is the list of new changes for Statist 1.3.1 that are
already in the cvs:

* Eliminated the 60 columns limit: Now the limit to the number of
  columns depends on the the maximum number of files that the operating
  system can open simultaneously. Details:
   + New functions:
       void inflate_MCOL(); 
       char * get_default_label(int i); 
       void create_columns(int amount);
       void free_column(int i); 
       void delete_column(int i);
   + Functions significantly modified:
       char *makefilename(int i); (was: char *makefilename(int, char*))
       void erasetempfiles();
       int parsecomment(char *comment);
       char * get_default_label(int i); (was: void create_label(int))
       void readsourcefile(char *sourcename);
   + The global variable n_alias is no longer necessary: The comparison
     between the number of labels and the number of columns is now made
     only inside the function readsourcefile(). After this, n_alias has
     the same value of ncol. Thus, we don't need the two variables.
     
* Changes in "tests" directory:
   + Added: test_xcols.sh, xcols.config, and xcols.dat
   + Makefile: added test_xcols among the possible tests, and added
     comments about the pre-requisites for running the tests.
  
* Fixed memory leak in myexist().

* Fixed bug in plot_command(): The function was testing only if the
  user typed "quit". However, gnuplot quits whenever the first letters
  in a line might unambiguously be interpreted as "quit" or "exit".
  Gnuplot also skips leading blank characters. The bug was causing
  statist run an infinite loop when the wrong letters were sent as
  commands to gnuplot. Now, Statist is overzealous. It closes the pipe
  with gnuplot whenever the line first letters are either "q" or "ex".

* Added the option --version: The usage tip was detached from
  VERSION_INFO.

* Updated po files.

* Added function ls(): The function is called when the user is asked to
  enter a file name, and, as the name suggests, it lists the content of
  the current directory.

* Fixed bug in equal_rows(): The function was testing vn. The correct
  is to test nn. The bug was introduced while correcting the missing
  values problem and would manifest itself only when the user "Read
  another file" with different number of rows, but any user knowing
  what he was doing would never run analysis using columns of unrelated
  databases (unless he was testing Statist robustness).

* Fixed bug in plot.c: xtics were disappearing after running the code:
  "set xtics %g, %g, %g". The command "set xtics" wasn't enough to
  reset the "start", "increment", and "end" values previously defined.
  Now we are using "set xtics autofreq". This change might only cause
  problems for people using very outdated versions of gnuplot, because
  the option "autofreq" is part of gnuplot since Dec 1998.

* Replaced all gnuplot commands "set novar"  with "unset var": The
  commands "set novar" were deprecated by gnuplot since Aug 17, 1999.

* Name of gnuplot data file is no longer fix: If the name of the
  gnuplot data file already exists, a number is added to the name. Now
  it's possible to use the gnuplot command "replot" with multiple
  instances of statist. This closes the bug report opened on Sep 12,
  1997.

Best,

Jakson