Subject: Run-time problem

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 09:51:49 +0100

Hello all

I have got a problem in running statist (and StatistX). Though
statist compiles flawlessly, it complains with a "statist:
relocation error: statist: symbol errno, version GLIBC_2.0 not
defined in file libc.so.6 with link time reference" after being
invoked.

I am running SuSE 9.1 with a 2.6.5-7.111-default kernel. What does
the error message mean, does anyone have a hint how to fix it?

Thanks

Michael

----------------------------------

Dr. Michael Gebhardt
Lehrstuhl f. Zoologie, TU München
Lichtenbergstr. 4
85748 Garching

Tel.: +49 (0)89 289 13664
Fax: +49 (0)89 289 13674
Email: [email-masked]

---

From: Andreas Beyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 10:22:39 +0100

Hi Gebhardt:

Do you use the unpatched statist 1.0.1, or do you use the current CVS 
version?
The former has a problem with errno. Maybe you switch to the CVS version 
instead or you apply the patch from
http://intevation.de/pipermail/statist-list/2004/000062.html

	Andreas

-- 
--------------------------------------
   Dr. Andreas Beyer - [email-masked]
   http://www.imb-jena.de/~beyer
--------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 11:09:42 +0100

Hi Andreas

I tried both. Applying the patch to statist 1.0.1 solved the
compilation problems, so I got a binary which produces the error
message. 

The CVS version compiled nicely right out of the box, but
the binary again complains ("statist: relocation error: statist:
symbol errno, version GLIBC_2.0 not defined in file libc.so.6 with
link time reference").

Any more ideas?

Michael

> Do you use the unpatched statist 1.0.1, or do you use the current
>CVS  version?
> The former has a problem with errno. Maybe you switch to the CVS
>version  instead or you apply the patch from

Dr. Michael Gebhardt

---

From: Bernhard Reiter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 12:09:16 +0100

Hi Michael,

thanks for noting the problem.
It seems that with the 2.6. kernels something changed 
regarding the errno handling.  
(I cannot say if this is a kernel or a statist bug
as CVS is fine according to my documentation of errno.)

Try the following
	LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.1	./statist
or
export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.1
in bash before starting statist.

Best,
	Bernhard

---

From: Bernhard Reiter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 13:14:59 +0100

> as CVS is fine according to my documentation of errno.)

I consider it a statist and Debian manual pages bug now
and subsequently deleted the extern int errno; declaration in statist.h in CVS.

Best,
Bernhard