[Kolab-devel] Resource Management in Kolab 3.0
Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems)
vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com
Mon Mar 12 15:33:55 CET 2012
As per http://wiki.kolab.org/Kolab_3.0_Resource_Management
I'm thinking about a way to implement this, but I need some
clarification on what the flow is of messages.
Suppose John reserves Car #1 for Monday and Wednesday.
Suppose Jane reserves Car #2 for Monday and Tuesday.
The reservations now look as follows:
| Monday | Tuesday | Wednesday
Car #1 | John | | John
Car #2 | Jane | Jane |
Suppose Max wants to make a car reservation for Tuesday and Wednesday.
The following questions come to mind;
- What is Jane's reservation?
- Is Jane's reservation based on needing the car Monday morning
throughout Tuesday evening (do not return car Monday evening), or;
- Is Jane's reservation really a Monday, and also Tuesday (return the
car on Monday)?
Suppose Jane does not return the car on Monday (and that in fact was
the plan as well);
- What is displayed to Max wanting to make a Tuesday-Wednesday
- Does Max see a "just try to make a reservation we'll attempt to
figure it out and let you know"?
- Does the client (responsible for rendering the UI that Max is
presented with) offer a car available or not available, or
- Is the client responsible for the capability to render the
availability information, or is the client offered with such
- The most effective way to negate the entire problem is to immediately
re-schedule John's reservation on Monday (for Car #1) to Car #2, and
Jane's reservation (Car #2) to Car #1, freeing up Car #2 for Tuesday and
Wednesday - however, given that cars are written off over a period of
time and mileage, it's probably not sustainable to put load on any
particular one of the resources in the set, and this re-scheduling would
need to be balanced somehow. This would greatly complicate the resource
management - but could be implemented.
Jeroen van Meeuwen
Systems Architect, Kolab Systems AG
e: vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com
m: +44 74 2516 3817
pgp: 9342 BF08
More information about the Kolab-devel