[Freegis-list] [becker@geophysics.harvard.edu: Re: [Fwd: iGMT licensing]]

Bernhard Reiter bernhard@intevation.de
Tue, 6 Feb 2001 16:49:35 +0100

--EOHJn1TVIJfeVXv2

--VBq/nvTu32OVLBUP

Here is a mail from Thorsten about the iGMT licensing.
(Forwarded with permission.)
	Bernhard

--VBq/nvTu32OVLBUP

Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2001 10:01:38 -0500
From: Thorsten Becker <becker@geophysics.harvard.edu>
To: bernhard@intevation.de
Cc: Alexander Braun <braun@gfz-potsdam.de>
Subject: Re: [Fwd: iGMT licensing]

Bernhard,

	thanks for your remarks about iGMT. We appreciate your interest
and are happy that you like our software. Please let me reply to your
comments by quoting below.

	Regards,

	Thorsten

  Thorsten W. Becker_________________becker@geophysics.harvard.edu
  Earth and Planetary Sciences
  Harvard University                         phone: 1.617.495.8986
  20 Oxford Street                             fax: 1.617.495.8839
  Cambridge MA 02138, USA       www.seismology.harvard.edu/~becker

> From bernhard@intevation.de Thu Feb  1 09:46:22 2001
> Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 15:56:25 +0100
> From: Bernhard Reiter <bernhard@intevation.de>
> To: braun@gfz-potsdam.de
> Cc: freegis-list@intevation.de
> Subject: iGMT licensing
>
> Hello Alexander,
> (I write in English, because you might want to send this mail to
> Thorsten. And I also send a carbon copy to the freegis-list.)
>
> Being with the FreeGIS.org project you might know me and I enjoy
> IGMT a lot.
>
> There are two issues which I noticed today:
>
> * You might want to adopt a better version number scheme.
> People are using your development versions for iGMT1.2, but the
> source code archive is always called the same. This welcomes
> confusion about the version used. The version on the freegis cd for
> example is called 1.2, but it is probably less recent than your latest
> development version. You could simply add the date to your snapshot,
> so call the latest development version igmt_v1.2-20002710.tar.gz
> or igmt_v1.2pre2.tar.gz or something.

	This is a good idea, we will do that in the future.

> * You have changed the licence from GPL to GPL with an addition
>   which reads as following:
>
> | In addition, iGMT is not to be used for any military purposes or for
> | any other activities that are against the spirit as expressed in the
> | Student Pugwash Pledge (www.spusa.org/pugwash/pledge.html).
>
> I am a bit worried, because this renders iGMT non-free software to be strict.
> I agree with your political goals stated in the Pledge, but freedom
> of software cannot depend on much more political strings than its
> freedom.
>
> Here are the commonly accepted guidelines for free software,
> which you are violating with the new igmt license:
>
> 	http://www.opensource.org/osd.html
> | 6. No Discrimination Against Fields of Endeavor.
> |
> |       The license must not restrict anyone from making use of the
> | program in a specific field of endeavor. For example, it may not
> | restrict the program from being used in a business, or from being
> | used for genetic research.
>
> http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/free-sw.html
>
> | * The freedom to run the program, for any purpose (freedom 0).
>

> It would be sad if igmt is not free software anymore, because we
> (people interested in free gis software) will have to work with the
> latest version which came with a free software license and could not
> profit of your good scientific work.

	We regret that we deviate from the FSF policy in that respect.
Even though we can appreciate the reasoning behind it, we simply do not
want our software to be used for general military and other purposes we do
not support. The G in iGMT is for doGmatic.

	If you are concerned by our deviation from the GPL, I suppose you
will have to take iGMT off your next release of the free GIS disc. You
might want to include a link to our newest version, however, to inform
users about the availability of a restricted license version.

> Best,
> 	Bernhard
>
> --
> Professional Service around Free Software                (intevation.net)
> The FreeGIS Project                                         (freegis.org)
> Association for a Free Informational Infrastructure            (ffii.org)
> FSF Europe                                            (www.fsfeurope.org)

--VBq/nvTu32OVLBUP--

--EOHJn1TVIJfeVXv2

--EOHJn1TVIJfeVXv2--